Monday, September 24, 2012

Horrible at These "Title" Things and Fatigue

I feel like I have just ended up writing and writing and writing so far.  So the short little title that I have ends up not being correct and not making sense. Whoopsies. I guess I just have too much going on in my head at this point.  I hope that evens out a bit and gets better...that the overwhelmed feeling starts feeling not so overwhelming.  Yesterday I was pretty grouchy.  I had a pretty busy day on Saturday, went to an afternoon full of MS workshops, and then took my medicine, or "shot up", as I affectionately call it Saturday night.  While some of the workshops were very informative, I had severe brain overload, "shot up" at 8:00 and was in bed at 8:30 and slept until 11:00 Sunday morning.  Because that's the way I roll these days.

One of the workshops was with a fantastic speaker, Dr. Gary Stobbe.  The entire 4 hours could have been him talking and I would have been happy.  I wrote notes the entire time and what he said made sense.  One of the things he talked about was how the brain in an MS patient works harder because in order to do a task, the brain is sending the signal over a pathway which has been damaged, so the signal then spreads out and goes over more pathways.  So in a regular, non MS-affected brain, the same task is going over one pathway in the brain, but in a MS-affected brain, the signal is still trying to go over the original damaged pathway, plus having to spread out to adjoining pathways to find an undamaged pathway.  The MS-affected brain, therefore, expends more energy, This goes for getting an actual physical task done, tying to explain something, reading, writing etc.  So imagine interrupting that person in the middle of said task.  This is one of the theories that MS fatigue is so common and so severe.  It doesn't have to be because you have been physically doing many different tasks, it can be because of your brain being active.  I am going with that being why I hit a wall Saturday night and went to bed for 14 hours.  Serious brain overload on Saturday coupled with my medicine which  makes me feel a bit tired the next day anyway.  Huge brick wall was hit and I sat on the couch yesterday other than to do one load of laundry.  My 2 cups of coffee at least got me that far.


No comments:

Post a Comment